Friday, October 31, 2008

Fixing the Oil Leak

I've had a slight oil leak for many years coming from somewhere I could never tell. As it turns out, I'm pretty sure it was from the water pump oil seal. I found a post here http://voyagerxii.4kaztwylde.com/wyzard_helps_hints/index_new.htm (there's a link to part 1 and 2 of the repair at the bottom of the page - items 59 and 60) that explained my leak and is an excellent guide to fixing it. So I tore into it last weekend. The parts came while I was on travel this week. Tonight or tomorrow I plan to put it back together. I might add pictures to this post, but probably not since those at the the link are very good. I figure I won't replace the fluids until I need to, in case some other modification comes up (certainly re-mounting the radiator and maybe an oil cooler). Someone remind me to put oil and coolant in it before I start it (actually I put a not on the key).

For anyone else out there wanting to fix this problem, note the Kawasaki part number in the link - I could not find the seal on any of the online OEM parts drawings. I ended up having to chat with some one at BikeBandit.com who found it based on the part number and description and then cross referenced it to their part number. The seal and four O-rings set me back $35 with S&H. I think the estimated 4 hours to repair (stated in the link) is about right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home